Attaching a new or existing headboard to your bed is a relatively simple task. In most cases, headboards are fixed to the bed with bolts that screw into the divan base before passing through struts, holes or slots on the headboard. Many people frequently ask us how to attach a headboard to a bed frame. We have obvious ideas about attaching headboard to a frame. If you use a normal bed frame, probably it doesn’t have any headboard attached. You will want to make your bed frame more efficient and smart by attaching one. So, how to attach headboard to on divan beds ? Read on for proper guidelines on attaching the headboard on divan beds.
Tools You Need:
- Bolts (4 or 8)
- Washers (8 or 16)
- Nuts (4 or 8)
- Wrenches (2)
- Adapter plates (2, optional)
Stabilise a Headboard
Struggling to maintain the desired fit? You may need to stabilise your divan headboard. A loose headboard is a recipe for damaged walls and broken sleep, no matter how comfortable your divan bed frame and mattress set is. Banging caused by the loose connection can also create undesirable noise. Stopping your headboard from knocking against the wall is important and, thankfully, easy. Floating headboards will require the addition of a buffer between the walls, which can be done with the help of wall supports. These adjustable tools can create separation and stability, allowing you to wave goodbye to noisy nights and say hello to restful sleep.
Check Bed Frame:
First of all, you need to check carefully your bed frame. Most of the bed frames come with very common structure. Brackets turn up with every bed frame as part of the construction. Not each user exactly realizes the activities of these brackets. Make sure that both brackets are attached of the frame’s head sides.
Two types of brackets are usually used on bed frame. These are made to match accurately with the very usual types of headboards. We know most common headboards are bolt-on and hook-on. Bolt-on is very much popular while hook-on a bit less. A general bed frame intended to be bolted-on and its brackets contain slots. On contrary, you will notice hooks are attached in the last part of a hook-on bed frame.
How to attach a headboard on divan bed
There are three main types of headboard which are given below
1) Strutted Headboards:
The first and most traditional type of headboard uses struts. This type of headboard attaches to the bed two or more struts that extend downwards from the headboard. Generally, they do not touch the floor. As mentioned above, the headboard attached to the bed by means of headboard bolts. These Bolts pass through the slot on the headboard before being screwed into fittings in the bed. When you first purchase this type of headboard there is a good chance that the headboard struts aren’t attached to the headboard. If this is the case, you simply need to fit them with either the screws or bolts provided before attempting to fix the headboard to the bed. Here are the steps on how to fit a headboard to a bed (strutted).
Strutted headboard steps:
- Remove the packaging from the headboard
- Find the small screws or bolts that fit the strut (the metal or wood fitting) to the headboard
- Find the fittings which the screws/bolts screw into. If fitting a fabric headboard you may have to find the fixing points by feeling for indentations under the fabric.
- Align the holes in the strut with the holes in the headboard.
- Screw the bolts or screws through the strut holes into the headboard.
- Find the fixing points in the bed. If you can’t see them, feel for them under the fabric. New beds usually have stickers indicating the location of the fixing points.
- If the slot in the strut is open at one end – screw the headboard bolts (these come with the bed) into the bed fixing points first.
- Now slide the strut onto the bolt with the head of the bolt and the bed sandwiching the strut.
- Adjust the height of the headboard to where you want it and make sure it is level
- Tighten the bolts. It may be easier to set the height on one side and tighten, then repeat on the other side. do this one side at a time
- If the slots do not run to the end of the strut – screw the bolts through the slots and into the bed at the same time.
- Adjust the height of the headboard
- Make sure the headboard is level
- tighten the bolts
2) Floor standing headboards:
The second type of headboard is the floor standing headboard. These types of headboard sit directly on the floor. Headboard bolts that pass through the slots into headboard into the bed. The only difference is that the slots the bolts pass through are in the actual headboard and not on struts that extend from the headboard. Here are the steps on how to fit a headboard to a bed (floor standing)
Floor standing headboard steps:
- Find the fixing points in the bed. If you can’t locate them, feel for them through the fabric. New beds may have stickers that indicate the location of the fixing points.
- Screw the bolts through the slots on the headboard and into the bed.
- Tighten the bolts.
3) Wall mounted headboards
The final type of headboard is the wall-mounted variety. This type of headboard fixes to your wall rather than your bed by means of wall fixings. Wall mounted headboards can be a little more difficult to install than other headboards. Therefore it is best left to either those with competent DIY skills or professionals. Unfortunately, we can’t provide too much information on wall mounted headboards as each can be different.
Make sure that your selected bolts are compatible with your products. Choose long enough bolts to expand through both the bed frame and the headboard, additionally accommodate an ideal size nut on the end that’s important things which are using to attach a headboard to a divan beds.